Wednesday, July 23, 2008

In other news

Here's a post that doesn't feature a picture of the Meticais bills.

I wasn't able to get on the flight to Quelimane yesterday or today, so I'll be headed up there tomorrow and will probably stay there over the weekend. Though I'm missing out on the Zambezia action, I did get to see the German student protest again. A couple of weeks ago, I heard a bunch of noise and then saw a smattering of people parade past the guesthouse on the Avenida Kankhomba.



During the FRELIMA period here, when Mozambique was a communist country, a number of students studied in East Germany under a bilateral scholarship program. Part of the deal was that there would be funds transfered to the students' families back here, but governments being what they are, the families may not have gotten all the funds they expected. They haven't given up protesting in the couple of decades hence. It's kind of weird to see the German flag meandering down the street with bells and protests signs every week or so.

No comments: